Pages

Thursday, December 25, 2008

Snow!

We have had record snowfall! On Dec. 17th, in a 24 hour period 30 inches had fallen in some areas, (we got 19 inches) and everyday it has snowed more! I'd go measure again, but I don't really want to through the snow. It would be above my knees for sure. It sure makes traveling more difficult.

Today is Christmas. I appreciate so much all the gifts that I received from family and friends and likewise I hope that what we did for others is appreciated. I think the saying "It's not what you get but what you give" is what the spirit of Christmas is all about. I am always wishing that I could do more, give more. I remember when we were kids Mom and Dad would make Christmas so very magical! Mom would make gifts like candles, pillows, pjs, dresses, and many dozens of cookies and breads. We'd go Christmas caroling and deliver goodies to neighbors and friends. And so, now as an adult, I usually have a gift that is "homemade." Until this year. I have been so busy with work, that there hasn't been time to even think about making something. Why didn't I start earlier? Because I was trying to keep up with a large garden and it's plentiful harvest, or that is my excuse. It is hard for me to think of Christmas in August. There are many who do, like Penny, and obviously, Holly. Holly gave us a beautiful quilted nativity wall-hanging. THAT she didn't do in a hurry. That took planning, and time, and it's creation is now my treasure. I love all my gifts very much, but Holly's reminded me of my childhood and what I missed doing this Christmas: Creating something.

No comments:

Rejoice! - A New Day