Pages

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Dad and Mom
At the Evans Family Reunion, July 2008

March 1, 2009


While driving home from work on Friday night, I heard a commentary about a show playing in another city about the life of Kirk Douglas, starring Kirk Douglas, now 92 years of age. Much of the stories of his life are also in his autobiography, but, of course, without the interaction of an audience present. This segment I heard told a story about his father, who left them when he was quite young. His father did attend, however, Kirk Douglas’s first acting gig, which took place when he was about 6 years old and in the first grade. Afterward, his father didn’t say a word, just brought him an ice cream cone. At that moment, Kirk thought he’d reached the moon, and knew that he that he wanted to be an actor when he grew up. At the end of the senior Kirk Douglas’s show, his son, Michael Douglas, surprisingly appeared on stage with an ice cream cone for his Dad.

This story was endearing to me, and it prompted me to think about my own father, John F. Evans, Jr. and the wonderful home that I grew up in. Dad, you have always been a hero in my eyes. You have always been one to promote peace in the home I grew up in. I cannot recall one time when I ever heard you raise your voice in anger or complaint. Do you know how important that is in a growing child? I liked to cook, and though the details are a little vague to me now, this is what I remember: One night I made “French Toast” for dinner. I made a mistake in reading the recipe, which called for a ¼ tsp. of salt, and I made it with ¼ cup of salt. It tasted badly, but Dad, you were very pleasant and never made me feel like I had done something terrible, or ruined your dinner. In fact, you ate it anyway! Now there is an angel.

Dad, you had a sense of humor that sometimes I didn’t appreciate. I remember one time you thought it was pretty funny to chase me through the house with a dead goldfish sticking halfway out a hamburger bun, and to play tricks on Kay and I by putting a bloody mannequin arm (catsup) on the floor sticking out from under the couch. When we came home from school, we heard an anxious cry, “Hurry and help me get your mother out from under here!” Once I lifted up the toilet seat and found the mannequin arm sticking up from the hole! It is a wonder I turned out normal. J We had a lot of fun, most of the time. I loved how you would flood the backyard with water and make an ice skating rink every winter, hand swings from the weeping willow tree in the backyard, take us to shoot bee bee guns, and fly kites we get so high I felt like it would nearly lift me off the ground. I feel blessed to have been able to spend vacations in Big Cottonwood Canyon at Aunt Marjorie and Uncle Phil’s Cabin in the mountains. I can’t believe that I used to go exploring Doughnut Falls and the mine! I am sure Kay must have been with me, though I don’t remember. I just remember that mom and you let us go, and we had a wonderful time. When we would drive back home to Iowa, secretly I used to cry as I did not want to leave the mountains.

Thank you for your positive outlook and pleasant disposition. Being greeted with a smile and “Good Morning!” is a wonderful memory that I have.

Dad, you have always been a worthy example of the life of Jesus Christ. I am grateful that you taught mom the gospel, and together you built a home filled with love, music, and the teachings of Jesus Christ. I know that you tried earnestly to follow the latter-day prophets, and taught us the importance of living close to the spirit. I know you and mom did this, and both of you were spiritual giants of great faith. I have to mention mom, because you were unified in all you did. You have held many callings in the Church. It didn’t matter what calling you had, I saw that you took each one seriously and fulfilled it the very best you could. Many times we would wait to eat until you returned. I saw how supportive Mom was in all that you did, and she was a very good example to me of how a wife should act and support her husband. Now that you are in your senior years, and have health issues, I see how you continue to put the other first and show in whatever way you can that you still support and love one another. You continue to be my example.

In honor of your birthday today, Dad, I just want to say that I love you so very much. Thank you for being a perfect Father to me. I could not have had a better one, and I am grateful for all you have taught me, for your example, for your love and devotion to Mom, for your love to the Savior and for living his commandments. Thank you for providing me a safe and loving home in which I could grow up in.

You should be proud to look back on your life and see the many noble things that you have accomplished. Thank you for writing your personal history, a gift that I will always cherish. But most of all, I am grateful that you are my father, for time and all eternity. I am grateful for temple covenants which bind us together forever. I am grateful that Jesus Christ has atoned for our sins, broke the bands of death, and rose from the grave. And because of Him, we all will live when we leave our mortal bodies, for we will be resurrected too; I know that you will live in Celestial glory, and that is where I want to be too. Thank you for showing me the way.

With all my heart,

Nancy

1 comment:

KML said...

Well said, Nancy! We did have the perfect home life. Like you, I loved the ice skating in the back yard, the weeping willow tree swing, and the trips to Aunt Marjorie and Uncle Phil's cabin.

Rejoice! - A New Day