Pages

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Day Ten: Stand

From "21 Days Closer to Christ" by Emily Freeman:
"Those who serve in our nation's military regularly meet with a captain who gives needed direction. The soldiers show their respect by standing "at attention" while he speaks to them. It is common, when he is finished, to tell his men to stand "at ease." There is an interesting parallel to this common practice and the scriptures. As "captain" in this spiritual battle, Christ asks us to stand "at attention" in many ways.

Stand by faith (Rom. 11:20)
Stand fast in the faith (1 Cor. 16:13)
Stand and testify (Alma 5:44)
Stand spotless (3 Ne. 27:20)
Stand in the places of our stewardship (D&C 42:53)
Stand in holy places (D&C 45:32)
Stand as witnesses (Mosiah 18:9)
Take upon us the Lord's whole armor, that we may be able to stand (D&C 27:15)
Having done all, to stand for truth, righteousness, peace, and faith (Eph. 6:13)
Caution: "Woe to them that are "at ease" in Zion" (Amos 6:1)"

When I think of Christ's last week on earth and how he was betrayed by Judas, one of the disciples, and how even Peter, the chief apostle, denied that he knew the Savior three times, I have to ask myself: Would I done the same? Would I have stayed awake all night while Christ prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane, or slumbered like the apostles did, not able to stand watch? Fast forward to our time. Do I have the strength and courage to STAND as his witness at all times and in all things and in all places?

"I think of his hands pierced and bleeding to pay the debt!
Such mercy, such love and devotion can I forget?
No, No! I will praise and adore at the mercy seat, Until at the glorified throne I kneel at His feet.
Oh, it is wonderful that He should care for me enough to die for me!
Oh, it is wonderful, wonderful to me!"

No comments:

Rejoice! - A New Day